The demand for the crack sealing unit has increased exponentially in the last five years. Crack sealing makes it possible to extend the existing pavement’s life by delaying water filtration through the cracks produced by the retraction of the pavement base.
This technique consists of blowing-cleaning and heating the existing crack simultaneously so that polymer-modified asphalt bitumen putty is subsequently applied. With this, you can seal the cracks, avoiding the infiltration of water and humidity, which are responsible for the crack to grow in size and thickness. Moreover, it prevents the cracks from damaging new layers of asphalt and the foundation base.
In today’s blog, we’ll discuss the top five facts about crack sealing that you must know about.
1. Crack repair improves the performance of other pretreatment methods. One of the studies showed that when crack sealing was completed as a pretreatment to a chip seal, 100% less cracking developed after two years of an observation than with only a chip seal treatment.
2. With sealing the cracks and micro-surfacing, the cracking rate was significantly lower in two years of analysis. Micro-surfacing alone resulted in 15% less cracking in the first year and 15% less in the second year. This means with crack sealing, other repair treatments are made more effective.
3. Cracks are sealed using a specialized material bonded to the crack walls, which moves relative to the pavement as it expands and contracts. It prevents water and debris intrusion into the crack. Crack sealant is specifically formulated to remain flexible at low temperatures so that it won’t break. At high temperatures, it won’t glue to prevent the material from moving or crumbling.
4. While crack filling requires low-cost materials, it just fills the void, reduces water and debris intrusion, and does not move with the pavement as it expands and contracts. Also, the crack filler does not maintain its properties at high and low temperatures. To sum it up, crack filler can’t fill the crack the same way as a crack sealer. Plus, it can’t build up as much as a crack sealer can.
5. Crack sealing is a long-term technology solution, while crack filling is temporary but widely popular.
At Asphalt Specialties LLC, we provide quality asphalt repair and maintenance and repair services to keep your pavement in optimal condition in Twin Falls, ID. Our team is well-versed with the best paving, sealcoating, and crack sealing techniques to ensure all your paving needs are catered. Get a quote for our professional paving services today!